450ml vegetable stock, made with half a stock cube
4 asparagus spears, trimmed (trimmings kept) and each spear sliced into 4
200-250g/8-9oz peas in the pod, about 85g/3oz podded (pods kept)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
85ml risotto rice
3 tbsp white wine (keep the rest of the bottle chilling)
small handful of freshly grated parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
small handful of rocket and a few parmesan (or vegetarian alternative) shavings, to serve
How to make Summer Risotto Recipe With Vegetables?
1. Simmer the stock for 10 minutes with the asparagus trimmings and pea pods; these will intensify the flavour. Strain into a jug.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a shallow pan. Add the onion and fry for 5-6 minutes, stirring, until it is soft but not coloured.
3. Add the rice and continue to stir and cook for 1-2 minutes until the grains become see-through at the edges and begin to make ‘clicking’ noises.
4. Add the wine (it should bubble and evaporate), then 50ml of the stock. Stir well and simmer gently until all the liquid has been absorbed.
5. Now pour in another 50ml/2fl oz stock and stir again.
6. Continue adding stock and stir. After about 7 minutes, when half the stock has been added,swirl in the asparagus and peas.
7. Carry on adding stock in small amounts until it has been absorbed; this will take about 10 more minutes.
8. Now the risotto should be a little wet and sloppy and the rice tender with a nutty bite.
9. Turn off the heat, then gently stir in the grated Parmesan, taste and season. You may need only a little black pepper as the Parmesan and stock are both salty.
10. Spoon the risotto onto a plate, top with the rocket, drizzle with the remaining olive oil and scatter with Parmesan shavings.