3 medium potatoes
4 slices bacon
1 small onion
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon parsley
How to Make German Potato Salad at home?
1. Scrub the potatoes with a vegetable brush while holding
under cold running water. Once clean, peel and cube
the potatoes on your produce cutting board.
2. Place the potatoes into a cooking pot. Fill with enough
water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cook until easily pierced
with a fork, about 10 minutes. Drain potatoes, and set aside
3. In a separate large deep skillet, cook the bacon over medium
-high heat until browned and crisp. Be sure to wash your
hands after handling the raw bacon. After bacon is
browned and crisp remove from the pan and set aside. Once
the bacon has cooled crumble into small pieces.
4. Remove the outer skin from the onion. Scrub the onion
with a vegetable brush while holding under cold running
water. Dice the onion on your produce cutting board.
Add the onion to the large deep skillet with the bacon grease
and cook over medium heat until browned.
5. Add the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper to the pan.
Bring to a boil, then add the potatoes, parsley, and half of
the bacon crumbles.
6. Heat through, about 5 minutes. Transfer salad to a serving
dish. Crumble the remaining bacon over the top, and serve
Additional Food Safety Notes Related To This Recipe
• When buying potatoes in the grocery store, be sure that they
free of most blemishes and are firm to the touch. Avoid
those that are bruised, sprouting, shriveled, or green-tinged.
• When buying bacon in the grocery store, be sure that there
are no broken seals on the package or discoloration on the
• Bacon has a recommended storage time of 7 days in the
refrigerator. Be sure to wrap it tightly after opening. After 7
days the bacon should be thrown into the garbage.
• Wash hands correctly after handling bacon. Even if the
bacon is ready-to-eat, it is important that you wash your
hands after handling all meat products.
• Moisten hands with warm water and apply soap.
• Rub hands together for 20 seconds. Don’t forget to
use a soft brush to clean your nails and nail beds.
• Rinse hands and dry with a clean towel.
• Keep food out of the “Danger Zone”.
• Bacon should not be out of the refrigerator for
longer than 2 hours.
• Put any leftovers into the refrigerator within 1 hour